Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Priorities May Be All Out of Whack

We're having a very strange winter. 70 degrees one day, snowing the next. It confuses me. And makes it very hard to get dressed in the morning. Hmmm...it looks sunny, but there might be snow in the forecast. Or hail. Or giant blobs of Rice Krispie Treats. See, what I mean? It's hard to plan for both sunshine and the potential of falling sugary treats.

This week we had snow on Monday. If you're from someplace where it regularly snows then we didn't get much snow. If, like me, you're from Southern California...it was the end of the world. And how did my adorable children greet me on the morning of the end of the world? By screaming at the top of their lungs, "it's snowing!!!!!!!!" And then there was some traditional kid-tribe snow dance of joy followed by hands and noses smushed against the windows.

And what did I say in the face of this boundless joy and glee? "Time for schoolwork!"

Yep. That's right. No snow days here. (Insert villainous theme music here).

Now, in all fairness the kidlets did get to go outside and romp in the snowy snowness later that day. After their schoolwork was done.

But here's where I think my priorities may be just slightly misaligned. Two days later I declared it a school-free day. Gasp! I know. So why had I suddenly transformed from the merciless mommy who makes them do schoolwork while staring longingly out the window at the falling snow to some kick back mom who cancels school? Well, I'll tell you. Major Dad was home from work and decided to rearrange our office/library/cluttered room of doom. So in order to properly take advantage of our slave labor....uh, wait...I mean in order to effectively use the cheerful and completely voluntary assistance of our munchkins, I cancelled school.

So, no cancelling school for possibly-the-end-of-the-world-snow days, but I'm perfectly fine with closing down the homeschool for Mary Poppins style cleaning days?

Yep. Works for me.

1 comment:

  1. lol We live in NJ, where I grew up, and where winters are very hit or miss. This year, the only real snow we had was on the day before Halloween. It was ridiculous. We've had a very mild winter all told. Last year, it was Snowpocolypse. There was snow on the ground from the beginning of November until the middle of April. We took several snow days. Not every single time it snowed, but some. My mom always let us have snow days if the kids at the parish school had one (and sometimes, even if they didn't). Perhaps it was because she had already lost 3 of us and wanted to cherish every childhood moment she could with those who were still here, or perhaps she just needed a day to kickback as much as we did. Who can say? But we still look back on those homeschooling snow days are some of our favorite memories. :)

    ReplyDelete