Monday, March 12, 2012

That's Right, I Speak Superhero...And I'm Not Afraid to Use It

Last week, when it was time to start schoolwork for the day, Jack was running around our basement/homeschool room with Tinker Toys stuck in the wrists of his shirts and growling. Now, he's a boy and he's five so I wasn't all that shocked. Actually, I've encountered worse creations from the mind of this imaginative and surprisingly mechanical little man. Claws and growling isn't so bad.

Me: Ok, Jack, time for schoolwork.

Jack: I'm Wolverine! (Hop, skip (in a manly, superhero way), leap, growl and strike a menacing pose).

And just in case you don't have superhero fans in your home here's Wolverine:


Me: Well, even Wolverine needs to learn how to read. How else could he learn all the X-Men rules? And he can't track down Magneto if he can't read the street signs.

Jack: (deep sigh, that clearly communicates my total failure to convince him that superheroes are both tough and literate). Mommy, I'm not really Wolverine. I'm just pretending.

Me: Oh, well then you definitely have to learn to read since you don't have that whole superhero thing to fall back on.

6 comments:

  1. So funny! I have three little boys in a row, ages 6, 5, and 4. I speak superhero too. As soon as you said he had tinker toys stuck in his wrists, I knew it was a Wolverine moment. My 4 year old is currently obsessed with Captain America, but when I call him that, he looks at me with his sly smile, obviously proud that I mistook him for the Captain, and tells me, "Mom, I'm not Captain America. I'm just pretending."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! We had a brief Captain America phase, but then he found Wolverine and it was all claws and growls from there. :)

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog when I saw that Lerheims up there ^ follows you.
    Love your humor.
    I have two boys.
    My oldest has definitely outgrown the superhero stage, but (like his Mama) would give his right arm to ACTUALLY be one. And although my youngest no longer wears his spiderman costume (with cowboy boots) to the grocery store...he is not above donning his blankie as a cape and saving my day.
    Press On,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Becky! And thank you Lerheims for the referral! :)

      Blankie capes are the best. And while Jack isn't wearing costumes to the grocery store anymore either, he does use "the Force" to open the automatic doors.

      Delete
  3. I grew up with 3 sisters and no brothers, and sometimes the world of boys amazes me. I grew up with Barbies and hair pulling and screeching. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was an only child, so the whole world of siblings confuses me. I did know we were in desperate need of more superheroes when a 6 year old Ella started using 2 year old Jack as a dress up doll.

      Delete