Thursday, February 11, 2010

Homeschool Legality Reality

Granted I am in no position to start offering advice on homeschooling or to provide much meaningful guidance for anyone out in cyberspace who may be considering homeschooling and has stumbled across this blog. And if that's you...welcome! Bookmark me, follow me, Google me...it all makes me feel loved.

Anyway, inexperience and rookie status aside, I though I'd post some helpful information I have learned about the legalities of homeschooling. See, the government has an interest in making sure we have well educated and intelligent children who will one day grow up and lead our nation in a well educated and intelligent way. (Resisting sarcastic one liners...biting my tongue...ok, all better) So in most states, in order to homeschool your children you have to meet a few legal requirements.

The law varies from state to state. The best resource I found for researching the current state of the law is the Homeschool Legal Defense Association. They break down the current laws by state and do a great job of translating legal speak into regular English. You can find their site at www.hslda.org

What's interesting is how the laws vary from state to state. Some states don't require anything at all. Not even a "see ya" letter from the parents. Other states are so strict that you have to submit test scores, a portfolio of your student's work and you may have to have your curriculum approved by the school board.

Now being a nomadic military family, the differences in state laws is of keen interest to me. The bottom line is know the law for your state and remember that if you move the law might be different in your new state.

No comments:

Post a Comment