Monday, March 8, 2010

It Must Be Going Well

So this whole homeschooling adventure must be going pretty well since I'm already thinking about curriculum for next year. When we started homeschooling in January, the hubby and I said that we were making the commitment for one semester and then we'd re-evaluate. Of course we really said that so I wouldn't completely freak out about the idea of homeschooling for the next 15 years. It's much easier for my brain to comprehend 6 months with an escape hatch rather than 15 years.

But this past weekend I caught myself looking at 3rd grade curriculum for Ella and pre-K work for Jack. Suddenly it dawned on me that homeschooling next year was just a given in my mind. And I didn't freak out, I was really happy about it. Somehow in the midst of flashcards and timelines and making candles, I sold myself on homeschooling. I stopped telling myself "we're trying it" or "we'll see how it goes" or "they can always go back to school" and started thinking about what to do next year.

I know...wow, right? Don't get me wrong, it's still hard work and there are times when I'm convinced that if I have to listen to Ella and Jack fight with each other for another minute I may completely lose my mind. But when I'm on the brink of mommy insanity I've stopped hearing my inner critic say "this homeschooling is too hard" and instead I hear a much calmer voice saying, "time for the kids to go outside."

I'm still open to the kids going back to school someday. And, here's my honest side again, there are days when I would really like to drop them off at school and do the grocery shopping all by myself. But for right now, I think we're good right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment