Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Don't Look for Miracles...Look for God

Our family is in a season of waiting, hoping and praying. We seem to be surrounded by uncertainty and we really don't know what life will look like in the coming months. And for me, being slightly organizationally and pre-planning obsessed, the uncertainty has the potential to throw me into a a state of panic. But it hasn't, and here's why...

Because I have decided to believe that God is in control. Even when it doesn't look like anyone is in control, I am choosing to believe that God is fully sovereign and fully in charge of everything that is going on around us.

I've spent more time than I should in my life saying I believed God was in control and then doing a lot of things that showed that deep down I really thought it was all up to me. But this year, as part of my resoluteness non-resolution I've decided to really let God be God in my life.

And part of that decision, for me, is to make a daily decision to seek God above all things. I still pray for our family's needs and the needs of others, but I'm not looking for miracles or answered prayers...I'm looking for God. I'm trusting God for miracles and believing Him for answered prayers, but that's not what I'm after right now. I'm after God. I'm after more of Him. A deeper knowledge of Him. A closer walk with Him. I'm still trusting God for miracles and believing Him for answered prayers, but that's not what I'm seeking...I'm seeking Him.

It's all too easy for us in our prayers and in our faith life to take our focus off who God is and wants to be in our lives and put our focus instead on what God can do for us. We all need to ask ourselves...am I seeking a miracle or am I seeking the One who works the miracle? We may think that we really need the miracle, or the breakthrough or the answered prayer. But what we really need is God. To desire what God can do for us more than we desire God Himself is nothing less than idolatry. We end up giving our devotion to something God can do instead of to God, which is the same as worshipping a creation instead of the Creator.

Matthew 6:31-33 says, "So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

There's nothing wrong with bringing our needs to God, but there is nothing we need more than God. And once we get that right, everything else will follow.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Sister!!! I could have wrote your post myself! I've btdt SEVERAL times and can totally relate! Glad I came by from The Hop! May God bless you during this season of your life!

    ReplyDelete