Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What Have I Done?

What Have I Done?

I have asked myself that question in a variety of forms more times than I can count in the past 5 days. Homeschooling? Really? What were we thinking? But here we are, a brand spankin' new homeschooling family. Prayers are welcome and appreciated! :)

I've had a number of my friends and family members ask me why we decided to homeschool so part of the reason for this blog is to keep everyone updated on the kids...and my sanity level. So here's the long-ish answer to the big question: we decided to homeschool because right now it is the best decision for our family. Sounds pretty mature and grown-up right? Well, don't let my masterful blogging skills fool you, I have no idea what I'm doing.

We have a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. I'm going to call them Ella and Jack. (Names have been changed to protect my usually innocent and occasionally guilty munchkins.) Ella is in 2nd grade and was attending an awesome Christian school, but as often happens with the military, the Marine Corps stepped right in and stirred up the waters of our peaceful Virginia life. My husband is a Marine Captain and in April he was deployed to Afghanistan. The kids and I stayed in Virginia because we have a house we can't sell (thank you housing market crash) and frankly I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of moving to a new state just in time to see my hubby deploy for a year.

In December we found out that the Marines have further plans for Captain Daddy when he returns from this deployment. I could tell you, but then I'd have to...well...hit the delete key a bunch of times I guess. Anyway, he won't be coming back to Virginia for a long time. But he will only be a few hours away so we want to be able to pack up the kids and visit Daddy whenever he's in the country. With homeschooling we can do that and Ella won't miss any school.

We are also a Christian family and we have pretty strong feelings about what we want our children to be taught and how we want them to be raised. It's a win-win...unless I totally lose my mind...then it's not so good. So stayed tuned, it's like a ticking time bomb that will either spew heart shaped confetti of family love and togetherness...or a mass of inky-black soul sucking goo.

Now come on, aren't you a little curious to see how it's going to turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment